UNIBEN SUG tenders apology letter to Olumide Akpata; Akpata response surprises many.

 


 Students Union Government of the University of Benin has tendered an apology letter to Olumide AKpata, the Labour Party Candidate for the Edo Governorship election in 2024 concerning the incident that happened at the Staff club of the institution between the Lecturers and the students Union.


In the letter signed by Alpha Lemuel, the SUG president and the Eriamiatoe Miracle, Secretary General.


According to the letter "We wish to express our deep regret for any inconvenience you may have experience during your visit to our campus. It is not our intention to cause any embarrassment or inconvenience to esteem guest like yourself and we sincerely apologize for any infraction that may have occurred..."




In response to the apology letter by the Students Union by the Governorship candidates of the Labour Party, Barr. Olumide Akpata, Barr. Akpata shown his concern about the lives of the students and students to come, in his statement he said "As a proud University of Benin (UNIBEN) alumnus, upholding the reputation of my alma mater has always been paramount. That's why the recent incident at the UNIBEN Staff Club has left me deeply disheartened due to the negative attention this has brought to the institution I hold so dear. I was even more saddened to have my name associated with such unpleasant news about UNIBEN. 


"I recently received, with mixed feelings, the Report of the Investigative Panel set up by the School to look into the incident. On the one hand, it has cleared the air and vindicated me. However, I was troubled by some of the recommended disciplinary actions against the students (identified as being present on that day) and the suspension of the Student Union Government (SUG). This recommendation on the suspension of the SUG has already been implemented. 


"My current stance may seem contradictory to some, but I care deeply about the future of these young people. 


"To that end, I have met with the Vice Chancellor of UNIBEN, the Chairman of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) UNIBEN Chapter, whose grievance is understandable, and many other relevant stakeholders to intervene and ensure justice is tempered with mercy. I definitely do not want a situation where the prospective future of any student is imperilled over this unfortunate incident. More so, the old and tired politicians orchestrating this drama have their own children safely ensconced far from the scene or even abroad while using other people's children as pawns. For the sacrifices their parents have made to provide them with an education, we must intervene.


"Thankfully, the SUG has apologised to me and the University, and I have accepted their apology, and I plead with others to accept their apology too. This will allow all parties to learn, heal, and move forward positively. While the report has set the record straight, I call on everyone to show restraint and provide a path for resolution.


"As UNIBEN alumnus, our duty is to uplift our alma mater's legacy, not let incidents such as this tarnish its name. I continue to pray for the swift and full recovery of Dr. Presley Osemwegie, who was injured in the unfortunate incident and I will surely join other well-wishers in doing all I can to ensure that he is back on his feet as soon as possible. 


"I have moved on from this matter and in that same spirit of unity, I urge everyone to put this behind us and focus on shaping a bright future together as one proud family." Olumide Akpata concluded

Post a Comment

Please Select Embedded Mode To Show The Comment System.*

Previous Post Next Post