Edo Governorship 2024: Exclusive: I am competent and ready to serve Edo for greatness, hold me by my words- Osaretin Ighile

 



Let us meet with Osaretin Ighile, a Governorship Aspiration of the Labour Party, a leading and trending Nigeria political party.



ACS: Can we get to know you sir?


Response: My name is Osaretin Ighile. I was born in Oredo local government, No, 14, Izama street, but I grew up at Second West East Circular Street, Benin City, here in Edo State. My family hails from Ovia South West, Udo village. I attended Benin Baptist Primary School, for my primary education, and Western Boys School for my secondary education. 

 

ACS: We would like to be aware of your Educational Qualifications


 Response: I went to Auchi polytechnic for two years, between 1985-1987, where I bagged my National Diploma in Fine and Applied Art.  After that, I went for a Direct Entry Program in Uniben, where I got a degree in Bachelor of Fine Art, Sculpture, in the year 1991. 

Moving forward, I did my youth service in Kano, and during my service, I bagged some notable awards because I was able to engage the rural community women meaningfully. I also ran a Masters course in Fine Art, Sculpture, New York.


  ACS: Can we have a hint into the different skills you have acquired and how you have put them to use?


Response: After graduating from the University, I created and exhibited a diverse body of artwork, including sculpture, painting and drawings, demonstrating creativity, innovation, and the ability to connect with diverse audiences. Three of the prominent works I engaged in included;

A Contemporary Sculpture work for Igbenedion

A famous timber magnate for Igbegbo

A Sculpture work for the then permanent secretary, Ayeni.

I also worked in some churches and did some sculptured work of the image 'Jesus'; all these I did before travelling to the United State of America. I also had a few exhibitions where RMD came to Benin to do a coverage for my story. I had few shows prior to the time I left for the states, one was at Work Tour, an hotel in Ibadan, Aleyance Francais in Kaduna and Lagos.

In the United State, I worked as a social worker for the American government, where I successfully ran a grassroots campaign for the office of City Council in 2009. Asides that, I taught in public schools and then I became a Director of a Recreational Programme for New York State. 


ACS: Sir, as you have said, you are a Fine Art person. How then did you transit into Science?


Response: I needed to survive, so I did what was best by taking some courses in psychology and other core subject areas that enabled me gain more knowledge and experience in my the science field. I was given series of test, of which I passed and then became a Certified Addiction Counsellor.



 ACS: Thank you sir. Travelling is also a form of education, so I  must commend your level of exposure and quest for knowledge. You have done well sir. Now, we would want to know how life has treated you so far, especially in Nigeria?


Response: Life has treated me well. While growing up, I was the only son amongst five sisters, so I was fairly privileged. My parents did pamper me, being the fact I was the only son. My parents where the average civil servants, and they were good parents who cared for us. As a kid, I used to attend with my father, government house parties and the rest, so yes, I was privileged as a little boy. 

When I left civil service, I became a practicing artist; an entrepreneur. And now, I engage in property development in real estate, so I was able to transform a lot of buildings in historical district in America. I am very proud to say that most of the modules I have worked in as regards the buildings are still highly favoured because of my artistic background. So far, I would say life has been fair. 


 ACS: What are the difficulties you have faced in life?


Response: As an average Nigerian who had a fair part of his experiences abroad, I would say some of the difficulties I faced, especially in the State, but not being subjected to them, would be that fact that almost every average Nigerian over there was labelled a criminal and a crook. This wasn't something a black man could avoid without facing discrimination. It was like a standard over there and somehow you just get habituated into it. If I had to start recounting, it would take a lot of time. Besides, irrespective of the challenges, life must go on.


ACS: Sir, you are coming out as the governor of Edo State. What prompted this bold move?


Response: I get a lot of this question. Now, if you look back at my revolution, that is when I left this country in the 90's, I wasn't prepared to be a Leader. If you recall, as at then, there was this slogan, or should I say title that read 'No check out o. Who will care for you, stay in Nigeria', something of such. As at then, the country was obviously going down the drain, which made a lot of people leave, with the hope of returning one day to a better place. 

When I left the country, I returned back every year, so my heart and soul has been here all along. Over the years, I have engaged in and with the community. There was a period I gave out palliatives even before we knew what it was called. 

It's just unfortunate that the responsibility of leadership has not really done well for us, so I see this an an opportunity to step up, and I know I can make a huge difference. At this point in my life, I'm not looking to build a house or enrich myself, I'm looking more into enriching the lives of the people in the community. 



ACS: Sir, you have made mention that you do not need to syphon public funds for your personal needs. How do you plan to convince the people to see this unique part of you? There is a saying that says 'Money does not reach the owner'. What do you have to say about that?


Response: This is just a typical Nigerian mentality. People say human needs are insatiable, but for me, I am satisfied. I have gotten an education that has allowed me understand that everyone is an extension of each other. We are just as strong as our weakest link, which means I could be living a fabulous life, but if the person outside my gate is struggling, then he is an extension of me. The white man recognises the need to have a civil society where things are working for everyone, and that is why they live in freedom. 

Sadly, we Nigerians haven't come to a point where we begin to see and understand the basic route of human existence. We cannot continue to amass wealth, and then the people get to suffer for it. As I have said, I am a satisfied being, void of inhumane intentions, who just wants to make others an extension of myself. 


ACS: What are the achievements you can bring in to make Edo State ranking the best state in Nigeria?


Response: As one who has engaged in property development in real estate, and has been able to transform a lot of buildings in historical district in America, I would also love to bring that same knowledge and prowess back home. So, one of the things I would like to do in Benin, and the whole of the state is to create a cultural district. This cultural district will be in line with the tourism outlook, which would lead to an increase in the fortune of the state. 


Post a Comment

Please Select Embedded Mode To Show The Comment System.*

Previous Post Next Post