Exclusive: Former Dean of students of UNIBEN lauds Parent, hails VC.

 


Former Dean of Students, University of Benin. Prof. Patrick Igbinaduwa tells Journalists  on Background and speaks on allegations against Nigerian professors


May we meet you?

I am a professor of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, in University of Benin, and I  am married  to Mrs. Bridget Igbinaduwa , who is the Deputy Director Federal medical center Asaba, We are blessed with 3 wonderful children, which 2 are undergraduates. We are also servant in ministry, I am a pastor and my wife is a deaconess in the Living Faith Church. 

We  contribute our quota in the little way we can, to human capital development all thanks to God .




How was your Childhood like, were there days when you failed In school while growing , if so, what transformed and aided your  performances to even become a professor? 



I was not born with silver spoon, my father was a health assistant and mother was a trader. We had a farm in Ikoka near Udo, I grew up in a Christian background, before I became a pastor I have been a Bible study class teacher, I  got born again at an early age in my class four and I followed the teachings of my spiritual mentors, the likes of Late Arch Bishop Benson Idahosa, Rev. Chris Oyakhilome and Bishop David Oyedepo,  they moulded my life, and have guided me to avoid a lot of pitfalls along the way.



I have always been a top class student . Whichever class I featured in , I have always been amongst  top 3. The only time I had issues in my academics was in my 200level days. Of course that is a difficult phase for all Pharmacy students, due to the numerous compulsory courses I had challenges coping and I had two carry overs. I almost wanted to quit, but I was able to spring up and in 400level  I was made a scholar again and I graduated as best graduating student of my set in 1990. God has been directing my steps. The greatest part of my life is my Christian walk and not my academics, although the academics has been a manifestation of it. 



 Why did you choose lecturing Career and what inspired you to become a professor?



My life has been based on faith. In 1999, I attended a crusade with pastor Chris, as he ministered, he revealed that God  wanted to position some people in various sectors across the Nation but because of money people do not avail themselves. By this time I already knew  God wanted me to be in academic sector, I knew he was talking to me. Before then as the best graduating student, I was adviced to apply for the post of a Lecturer but I declined because of the poor  salaries lecturers were getting. 


After I heard those words, I made up my mind and fortunately for me Prof. Cyril Usifo the current president of Pharmaceutical society of Nigeria, offered me a job to work  with him as an assistant lecturer.  I can say that God brought me into academics.

Before attaining Professorship, I already determined  In my early days as a Lecturer to get the best out of my profession. So I was focused, my Social Life was down this period.  For about 10yrs, I never attended any party. I had a target to achieve , I had to obtain my masters and PhD. coupled with  several publications to Publish. 



Professors are  the highest ranked in the Academic industry, a news documentary about Professors rigging election is circulating, what is your take on this? 


I do not agree that this is true. You do not judge a problem when you do not know the root cause. ASUU are not involved where the election takes place. For instance the presiding officers are the ones that prepares authenticated result at the polling unit level, Not the collating officers. 

Recall, ASUU was not involved in elections, it was when  former ASUU chairman Prof. Attahiru Jega  was appointed the INEC chairman that ASUU gave him a template which will enable the Professors to be involved all through the electoral process, but it was denied by the politicians.

The authenticated results are prepared in absence of Academicians (Professors) at the polling Unit,  which is most times headed by a Youth Corper. The Professors only come in at the point of collation , when some results will have been manipulated 

The Professor is only a scope, they do not have power to investigate. 

It is easy for us to criticize Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, but if you sit on his seat , perhaps you will know what he is going through. What the INEC chairman put  in place, showed he had pure intentions to conduct credible elections. Unfortunately, it did not go as planned. But as a honourable personality , if he was faced with  he would have let the country know. We should give him credit for amplifying the process too.


Under the leadership of Professors, judging from the past antecedents, we cannot deny that electoral process is gradually improving. I think Academicians should be praised for the innovations they have introduced in the electoral process.



In the University of Benin, you have served in several capacities, one of which is the Dean of Students . How was it for you? 



Well it was an enjoyable experience despite the challenges encountered.

  I am most grateful to the Iconic Vice Chancellor of This great Institution , Exceptional Prof. Lilian Imuetinyan Salami , for trusting in me by giving me the opportunity to serve as Dean of 77,001 Students. She believed in me and by God’s grace I did not let her down.


Do you have future plans to become the VC?



It is the ambition of anyone to rise not necessarily by attaining the position of Vice Chancellor, I am a member of the University Senate and I can contribute ideas and work with the Vice Chancellor to build the school. Also in my  Faculty,I contribute my quota in any way.

As of now, according to the regulations of University of Benin,  I am not even qualified to aspire for the position . Maybe in the future I might qualify, depending on the criteria. I trust God to lead the way as always.

Post a Comment

Please Select Embedded Mode To Show The Comment System.*

Previous Post Next Post