Governor of Edo State, Senator Monday Okpebholo, has urged Edo State intending pilgrims to be good ambassadors of the state as 95 pilgrims prepare to depart for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for the 2026 Hajj exercise.
The governor gave the charge on Saturday during a farewell ceremony held at the Edo State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board office in Benin City, where Islamic clerics, traditional rulers and leaders of various Islamic organisations gathered to pray for a successful pilgrimage.
Representing the governor at the event, the Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Umar Musa Ikhilor, Esq, said the administration of Governor Okpebholo remains committed to supporting the Muslim community and ensuring the welfare of pilgrims during the Hajj exercise.
Ikhilor noted that the governor’s inclusive style of governance has strengthened the relationship between the administration and the Muslim community in the state.
He said, “I had to take time to mention some of those who are present to show the sense of belonging that the governor, His Excellency Senator Monday Okpebholo, has for the Muslim community and how he has integrated the Muslim community in the affairs of the state,”
He commended the conduct of Edo pilgrims during the previous Hajj exercise, noting that the Edo State camp in Saudi Arabia became a reference point for other states because of the quality of welfare and feeding arrangements provided.
According to him, several pilgrims and officials from other states testified to the hospitality at the Edo camp, especially the availability of African delicacies, which he described as uncommon during Hajj operations.
Ikhilor also acknowledged challenges encountered during this year’s pilgrimage preparations, particularly the inability of many registered pilgrims to complete their travel processes on time.
He attributed the development to late preparations by intending pilgrims, describing it as a nationwide challenge, while assuring that the state government was already engaging relevant federal authorities to improve future coordination.
The SSG urged the pilgrims to obey the rules and regulations laid down by Saudi authorities and avoid acts capable of tarnishing the image of Edo State and Nigeria.
He said, "We should conduct ourselves properly and not engage in anything that will bring a bad reputation to the state or to our country, the Federal Republic of Nigeria,”
He further advised the pilgrims to remain united throughout the pilgrimage and avoid separating themselves from their designated groups.
In his remarks, the Amirul Hajj and Oghieaga of Ivbie, HRH Mallam Ali D. Sulayman, urged the intending pilgrims to reciprocate the government’s support through exemplary conduct in the holy land.
“The only way to show gratitude for the support that the government has given is to be of good conduct and ambassadors to Edo State,” he said, while encouraging them to improve on last year’s performance.
Earlier, the Chairman of the Edo State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board, Musa Muhammad Uduimoh, disclosed that although 351 pilgrims initially registered with the board, only 95 pilgrims would eventually participate in this year’s Hajj exercise.
According to him, the contingent comprises 45 females and 50 males, including officials.
Uduimoh, however, appealed to the state government to assist the board with mobility and operational support, noting that officials often rely on personal vehicles for assignments.
He also lamented the absence of an ambulance and official vehicles for Edo pilgrims in the holy land, unlike what obtains in many other states.
“Anytime we have the need, we run to a neighbouring state,” he said while appealing for government intervention.
Signed:
Dr Patrick Akhere Ebojele PhD
The Chief Press Secretary to Governor Monday Okpebholo of Edo State
Sunday,May 17 2026
