Documentary: Revisiting the Hero History of Denrele Edun and Soundcity.



Written by Ojo Busuyi-Jobus Publisher, All Campus Show, 3rd May, 2023.

 

Every Mad Man you know are on the Streets, there is a mad rich celebrity who hangs on first class flight, the King of Madness cannot walk on the street, he is always on the mad convoy from stage to stage, one pageant to another and receives the cane of praises. 


“My grandmother would wake up in the morning start shouting ‘ Denrele, I hope you are not going mad’ Denrele spoke Daily Trust and publish online on Sat 6 July 2019. 



“But to me normal life is boring. I lived a normal life without money but now when madness has entered , I do not pick papers like other mad men, I pick money. 

When you see a mad man coming near you, you chase him away. But when madder Denrele comes , you shout like a mad man to celebrate him. 



Denrele Edun is the first in the entertainment industry in Nigeria who has mind to shut down how people do things to do it in his ways, without listening to what gainsayers say, he stands for self expression, individuality, he turns his back on the old formula, shut eyes to it and invent a new formula which sell him in another crazy way in the industry. 

To this, there can never be two Denrele Edun as we can not have two Michael Jackson. 

https://audiomack.com/tolexart/song/gospel-zazzu-keh-evang-tolu-jesu


My Experience with Denrele Edun


The first time I saw Denrele was in 2007 at Kofo Abayomi in Victoria Island, Lagos, when I accompanied the then Lagos State Central Senatorial Candidate who contested under Femi Pedro, her name is Mrs. Safinatu Mohammed. I always followed Safinatu as a journalist wherever she goes, to take pictures and write about her although I was not strong in writing back then, I can gather information of any event. During the show on this very day, Safinatu Mohammed pointed to a direction and told me to focus on Denrele . She described him as a “Kings Mad man” who lives in the Palace and Kings cannot sleep until they see him. You could see, this is not the regular Madman you see on the street, he is a celebrity and a rich madman. Before I caught him with my Camera, I gazed at him, zoomed him with my eyes and caught the shot. In 2009, I became an actor on Tinsel . I did not know what Denrele came to do in Tinsel. I rewind my memory back to the picture I caught at Kofo Abayomi in VI Lagos. I approached him like a mad man and he replied like a mad man and I was convinced that he was truly a Kings Madman. Since then, we have been brothers and I was his protege. 




Describe Denrele Edun

Denrele Edun, an eccentric, epileptic dancer, king of VJs is a dual citizen, a Nigerian born in Hamburg, Germany to Yoruba Father and Indian Mauritius Mother, the only Son of his Parents. He is an eccentric television personality, bunch of talents with a talking machine installed in him, he has an English Education graduate of the great University of Lagos. Denrele is a vast, round Personality as well as unflinching and  versatile entertainer full of energy bombastic missile in the entertainment industry.



About Soundcity

According to Wikipedia, “Soundcity TV is a popular TV station and showcases music videos, live performances, news and interviews with popular acts in addition to organizing, supporting and airing regional and international concerts. Latest music videos from the United States, England, and the rest of the world cutting across all genre are aired on the Channel. Sister brands include Soundcity Music Video Awards, Soundcity Urban Blast Festival, Buddie, Soundcity Radio Network, and Soundcity Digital.”


Controversies

There were rumors that said Denrele's exit from his old job was fueled by a fallout with his boss concerning his infamous picture with Charley Boy.



But Denrele debunked the rumors by coming to the media publicly with proof. That means, he was still with soundcity some years after the incident, some people will just type unverified information online.

Why did you now leave soundcity our oga Denrele? Because no female will be called kumolu without any reason.


According to naijatogether.blogspot.com/2011…

Denrele unveiled "I hope to soon flag up my own celebrity interview show. I have interviewed so many celebrities and I hope to use that to start my own show. Recently, I was in Dubai to host a show Usher had, so I hope to continue to do things for myself,” he said."


Though there is no instant comment of Tajudeen on Denrele mouth to mouth kiss with Charley Boy but according to naijatogether.blogspot.com/2011…


"Although Soundcity boss, Tajudeen Adepetu was not available to comment on Denrele’s exit, he was vociferous in condemning the picture with Charley Boy in an old interview. He called it “a foolish act”.



Denrele Edun to be candid was spotted in the picture which he cannot deny, I believe it is one of the madness, Tajudeen also said it is a foolish act, you know, madness and foolishness are mostly walking together, therefore Tajudeen was right for referring to it as foolishness, Denrele was also right by giving his madness a continuity to foolishness, I also believe Tajudeen knew Denrele and believe him that it is madness that was doing him. Later on, there was something about something that happened sometime that Denrele remembered something he thought sometime when he has something to do the some some, when you see Denrele ask him the ‘somethimes’.



But after leaving soundcity, Denrele got a channel O offer as a VJ, is that the show you said you wanted to go and do Denrele? But well, maybe an interesting contract form bought the idea and the dream for a period of time as it was written in the book that "Salary is the money someone receives to forget about his dream"


The handsome madman getting richer despite the haters and the fake friends and despite the friends he sees as enemies, you know mad man does not t know the right things sometimes.


“I did not leave soundcity because I wanted to, I was forced to leave , I was part of the foundation of soundcity. We started building the brand together as a presenter, producer and even a marketer that brings money to the brand. I could hear comments like he is too over exposed we have to replace him immediately. I said me replace me? Where are you replacing me?”



“I had a company car, I was the only presenter who had a Company car and the way the Company got the Car off me,  I did not want to say this before because I did not want to paint the SoundCity brand black. But I will say it here. There was a day I just returned from Dubai and some days after, Police invaded my Family house, everyone was at home including my grandmother and they said there was a Petition against me, even the Inspector did not know it was me, and when he saw me he was surprised and he said “Oga na you? No vex just follow us to the Station”.

“I even taught my sister drove the Car and bashed somewhere but when I got to the station, I read the petition and I laughed.” Denrele said


“They asked me to surrender everything I had, I was accused of siphoning money. I think the only problem I must have had which I had explained to my boss then, was that a situation we paid money on time which is normal and I had an outstanding though I never mind. I was always working like that because I have to put the brand out there. If you noticed, a lot of presenters had left overtime and I was committed to making things happen, I felt under appreciated for the police coming in to seize my car, my money was not given to me and I was flat broke. I remember then, my Sister called me from school that she was sent out of class continuously because I  had not paid her fees. I was wondering why that happened. I never even got through to my boss, what I did was just to resign at that point in time, I even asked for my money, do you know what they told me? They said I brought the Car in a deplorable state, so all the money owed me will be used to fix the Car.”



“So I got a car from my friend , went to the office, packed all my awards cleared my desk, took my pictures. Before I even got out it was an headache sef’  and some of them wanted to greet me, I had to caution them not to greet me, because they are part and parcel of it, this made me got bitter”.

Post a Comment

Please Select Embedded Mode To Show The Comment System.*

Previous Post Next Post